Monday, February 06, 2006

Parents

So what else has changed? Well not nearly as much manufacturing goes on as it used to for rather obvious reasons. In the past there were huge factories that produced anything and everything under the sun, most of the items were useless luxiuries that are no longer neccessary and most of the time there weren’t even any people creating anything it was machines that did the work. Factories still exist, people specializing in creating specific things and then trading them for either money or bartering for things they need to survive like food and clothes. People learned to focus on their strengths, my parents were resourceful when they first got to Florida they knew about snow and took advantage of that helping people remove it and clear it away for money. That’s changed, now everyone knows about the snow and we’ve all gotten very efficient about removing it… we don’t remove it all now; that’s too much work. But I digress.

My parents, I’ve mentioned them a few times but not their names, Michael and Julia Smythe. My dad was in still in university studying mathematics and physics he had a bunch of odd jobs here and there that often relied on the fact that he was a pretty hand guy and resourceful. My mother on the other hand had just finished a college degree in computers, web design specifically. Between the two of them they were able to raise me and start a small business that provided enough money and often traded food that has kept us alive. Smythe House Construction and Insulation is the name of the company and I’ve been working with my family since I could be useful. The winters damage as much as they can kill, each winter houses collapse under the weight of the snow not to mention the ice that gets in and then there’s the matter of cold. So we’re kept pretty busy well into the first snowfalls.

It’s a very efficient operation when it comes to pretty much everything my mom and dad work together to plan everything out, they use my moms computer skills with my dad’s knowledge of math and physics to make sure everything is sound before we start building or fixing anything. I almost forgot, computers still exist, there isn’t many new ones being made but they still exist, it’s a completely different society than in the past but some technology has stayed if it hasn’t prospered in some unique and often limited way.

No comments: